OP Slips to $0.094 After Spiking to $0.102: Was the +16% Aug 31 Rally a Reversal Start or a Bull Trap?
TL;DR
Picking up from our last piece: after OP printed an all-time low of $0.0807 on Aug 18 and bounced 25% in 10 days, we argued "trade the bounce, don't marry it." The last 48 hours delivered half the answer - Aug 31 printed a +16.1% volume candle to $0.1002, Sept 1 spiked to $0.1018 in early trading, then failed and bled back to $0.0942 (-7.5% from the high). Lost $0.10 again - reversal start, or another bull trap?
Today's tape: fade after the spike
Daily basis: Aug 31 ripped from $0.0863 to $0.1002 (+16.1%), nearly 15% intraday range on clearly expanding volume - the strongest candle since late August. But Sept 1 topped at $0.10184 in the morning and closed $0.0942 (-6.0%); Sept 2 stays soft. 24h range: $0.10184 / $0.09238, last $0.0942.
Two things stand out:
- Supply above $0.10 is real. The Aug 21-23 rally left a dense overhang in the $0.10-$0.112 zone. Aug 31's candle pushed price right into those trapped holders; profit-takers + breakout sellers met at the $0.10 round number, which failed to hold on close twice (Aug 31 late, Sept 1 early).
- The macro tape isn't helping. BTC faded from $78K to $76.6K (-1.7% 24h). Risk appetite is shrinking and alt bounces lack follow-through. OP -6% vs BTC -1.7% shows both beta drag and local profit-taking.
But the structure is genuinely improving
Zoom out and the medium-term picture looks better than the short term:
- Aug 18 all-time low $0.0807;
- Aug 30 retest only reached $0.0847 - a higher low, no new low;
- Aug 31's volume candle reclaimed the 5/10-day MAs and swallowed the entire Aug 23-30 decline;
- As long as this pullback holds above $0.092, it reads as "post-breakout retest," not trend failure.
A textbook higher-low structure is forming: $0.0807 -> $0.0847, with the neckline at the Aug 22 high of $0.1124. Full confirmation still needs one thing: a volume breakout above the neckline.
Next two weeks: three scenarios
Base case (~50%): Range $0.092-$0.102 for 3-7 days while BTC picks a direction. Choppy digestion around $0.10, volume fades, then a directional move.
Bull case (~30%): BTC reclaims $78K, risk appetite returns; OP holds $0.095 on volume and takes a second swing at $0.102. A daily close above $0.102 triggers short covering toward $0.108-$0.113 (the Aug 22 zone). Trigger check: volume at least 80% of Aug 31's, and no relapse below $0.092.
Bear case (~20%): BTC breaks $75K; OP loses $0.0923 (Sept 1 low) and drops to the $0.086-$0.0847 double-bottom zone. Above $0.084 the medium-term bottom thesis survives; a volume break of $0.084 reopens $0.0807 and flips the structure bearish.
Key levels
- Support: $0.0923 (Sept 1 low) -> $0.086 / $0.0847 (double-bottom zone, the lifeline)
- Resistance: $0.10 (round number + overhead supply) -> $0.1018 (Sept 1 high) -> $0.1124 (neckline, reversal confirmation)
My take
Short term, $0.094 is no-man's land: clear resistance at $0.10, support at $0.092. No position? Wait for one of two triggers - a volume close above $0.102 to chase the breakout, or a non-breaking retest of $0.086-$0.088 to buy the dip. $0.10-$0.113 is a trim zone, not an add zone.
Medium term, as long as $0.084 holds, the "$0.08-$0.09 major bottom" call stands, and Aug 31's candle looks like the first real stirring inside the bottom zone. But reversal is only declared on a daily close above $0.113. Until then, treat every rally as mean-reversion.
Fundamentals remain the unresolved part - the three issues from our last piece (does OP TVL stabilize after Base's exit, does the buyback become real money, can governance trust recover) still have no clear answers. Those decide whether $0.113 can actually hold. Trust official data, not single candles.
Risk note
Analysis of public market data; not investment advice. OP has printed 10%+ daily ranges five days running - if you trade the perp, mind the leverage and the stop.